Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hair loss on staff terrier i,m using malaseb shampoo?

All my dogs have had good coats, however I hardly ever bath them. I clean them off with warm water after a dirty walk and IF we have a good summer I sometimes bath them and leave them wet. I can bury my nose into my dogs coat, who has not been bathed for about two years and she smells clean and sweet and so does my house.



I think that the hair loss stems from a dietary problem. My present dog and perhaps my dogs which are long gone have suffered with various problems which I now realise were because of what I gave them to eat. I think that your dogs problem could be resolved by feeding a grain free dog food. I will paste some info from my archives, hopefully this will help.

I have learnt by my mistakes. My present dog had dreadful problems because of the food which I gave her, I experimented with dog food, I tried raw diets, cooked diets and over the years I tried various dog foods. She did not like the raw diets and the dog food that I gave her resulted in diarrhea. As an experienced dog owner I introduced any changes gradually. Nevertheless my dog still had problems. She was eight years old before I resolved her problem.

Eventually, because of my researches on the Internet I found that the experts have discovered that GRAIN in our dog鈥檚 diet causes many problems. I now know that grain creates acidity in the blood. This causes skin problems, digestive issues, allergies, sickness, diarrhea, anal gland problems etc.,



if your dog has skin problems or any of the above problems PLEASE CHANGE THE DIET. Avoid Grain, rice, beef derivatives and dairy food



I now give my dog a dried food which uses beet for fiber and fish. It鈥檚 called Fish4Dogs and I buy it on the Internet. Look on the Internet and investigate yourself. Gluten free dog food is not enough to help our dogs, it MUST BE GRAIN FREE.



A rapid change of diet will upset your dog; any change of diet must be done gradually. Do please change to a grain free diet. I have had sixteen dogs throughout the years and they have had various problems. Perhaps if I had known about the dangers of GRAIN they would have had fewer problems. .Hair loss on staff terrier i,m using malaseb shampoo?
I have a 6 month golden with the same problem. If you're in the UK I think you can only get this shampoo from a vet anyway. We have managed to stop the hairloss by, washing all bedding in non bio powder at boil wash, changing to hypo allergenic dog food, no dairy products/wheat, antibiotics and the same shampoo. We have also been putting anti lick cream on as we think she was licking it due to habit once the infection had gone. She got the all clear from vet last night but have to continue with bathing once a week for 4 months to make sure any deep irritation goes.



Hope this helps.Hair loss on staff terrier i,m using malaseb shampoo?
As you have malaseb I assume you've been to the vet. Try adding a spoonful or so of raw liquidised Spinach to his/her food every day as well as about a teaspoon of corn oil. Give it a couple of weeks or even a month to work, it does take time but a lot of people find it works. If it doesn't have a look at your dogs diet, put him/her on a chicken and rice diet, it can take up to 3 months to work but is worth the effort. Remember though, nothing but chicken and rice.
I breed and own staffi's and do not recommend bathing them unless they absolutly need it or the vet has said too.



with these dogs having short close nit fur they get cold very quickly especially when wet.

if you wash your dog on a regular basis you are not giving the dogs natural oils chance to build up properly again before washing them off. these oils protect the fur and skin are there to help keep skin healthy too. excessive bathing of a dog can cause hair to fall out and skin problems to occur.



i would say try not washing your dog for a while and see if their fur starts to re grow. if this does happen dont wash your dog more than once in 2 months unless they have been somewhere dirty or smelly like ponds and mud puddles. i let mud dry on my staff then groom it with a curry comb this gets all the mud and loose fur out with out the need of a bath and encourages the natural oils to form by brushing.



need more advice? mail tilliandzeus@yahoo.com
i no this sounds stupid but have you checked that your dog has not got fleas, as if not treated can cause hair loss.

Also my dog was alergic to dust mites and that caused hair loss we took him to the vets and he now has injections every 6 months and we have no problems.

If it is not fleas i would take your dog to the vets before you start using different shampoos, hell can take test to see if your dog has any allergies.

good luck
there are lost of reason for hair loss in dogs, fleas, allergy to anything really but food allergy's are common so try a diet change to something like JWB or RoyalCanin, over brushing, over bathing.

if it continues then the vet can do allergy tests to find what is affecting your dog.





jodie does have a point, b1tches do tend to mault before a season, but due to the coat type of the SBT i dont think they would lose much hair at all if any, its more longer coated dogs with soft fur.
if you are making your dog have a bath everyday then dont use the shampoo everyday. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Even if you are making your dog have a bath everyday, its not good. Make him have a bath every 2 or 3 days.

Also after every bath, bow dry your dogs hair and then comb it a lot. It will reduce hair fall.

Good luck =)
Has your vet prescribed Malaseb specifically for your Staffie's condition? It's quite harsh, if effective when used for the correct purpose so I'd be careful.
If it is female it just shows she is coming into season and is quite normal
Mange. go to a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment